- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed an agreement for $15 million of debt financing through the subscription of nonconvertible debentures for Suguna Foods Private Limited (Suguna).The deal will help in sustaining poultry farming operations, as well as rural livelihoods and food security in India during the COVID-19 pandemic.With this deal, the ADB will offer essential liquidity support to Suguna’s operations and also help the company build inventory buffers and make timely payments to contract farmers and suppliers.
- The Indian rating agency, CARE Ratings has projected the GDP of India to contract in the range 8 to 8.2% for 2020-21 (FY21).This is more than its earlier projection of -6.4%. The decline in GDP growth by around 8 per cent would also be associated with a decline in the gross fixed capital formation.
- Subhash Kamath has been elected as the chairman of the board of governors of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI).Kamath, who was serving as ASCI vice-chairman, will replace Rohit Gupta, president, Sony Pictures Networks.NS Rajan, managing director at public relations firm Ketchum Sampark P. Ltd. was elected vice-chairman and Shashidhar Sinha, chief executive, Mediabrands India Pvt. Ltd was reappointed as honorary treasurer.
- Citigroup has named Jane Fraser as its next chief executive officer.She will be the first female CEO of this major global bank. She will succeed Michael Corbat, who is retiring in February 2021.Fraser has been a rising star in the financial industry, with a career that spans investment banking, wealth management, troubled mortgage workouts and strategy in Latin America.
- Hindi Diwas or Hindi Day is observed every year on 14 September to mark the popularity of Hindi as an official language of India.The language was adopted under Article 343 of the Indian Constitution.The first Hindi day was celebrated on 14th September 1953. Later, Pt Jawaharlal Nehru announced this day to be celebrated as Hindi Diwas in the country.
- Austria’s Dominic Thiem defeated Alexander Zverev to win the men’s singles title at the 2020 US Open tournament.It was Thiem’s first Grand Slam title, and he becomes the first player in the Open Era to rally from two sets down in a US Open final.Thiem is also the first player to capture a Grand Slam title from two sets down since Gaston Gaudio at 2004 French Open. For the first time in six years, there was a first-time Grand Slam champion at the US Open.
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) has won the Formula One Tuscan Grand Prix 2020 held at Mugello Circuit, Italy. This was his 6th win of the season and 90th F1 win of his career.Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes-Finland) came second followed by Alexander Albon (Red Bull – Thailand) at third place. The Tuscan Grand Prix (first edition) was the ninth race of the 2020 Formula One World Championship.
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka defeated Victoria Azarenka of Belarus to clinch the Women’s Singles title in the 2020 US Open Tennis tournament.This is the third Grand Slam title for the fourth seed Osaka. Osaka previously won the title at the 2018 US Open and 2019 Australian Open.She is now the first Asian player to win three Grand Slam singles titles. The victory has moved up Osaka to number 3 in the world rankings.
History on the Date:
(1960) Maurice Richard announces his retirement. He finishes his career with 544 goals, an NHL record at the time.
(1997) Google.com is registered as a domain name