Table of Contents
- SBI General Insurance and YES Bank have signed a corporate agency agreement.Under the corporate agency agreement, the YES Bank will distribute the general insurer’s retail products to its customers.The partnership between SBI General Insurance and YES Bank will be committed to offering customers a broad range of non-life insurance products and services and deploying technology across the customer value chain to facilitate superior experiences for them.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has estimated that the GDP of India is expected to contract by 9% in fiscal 2020-21 (FY21). This estimate is worse than ADB’s previous estimate of -4%.However, for the FY22 (2021-22), ADB expects India’s GDP at 8 per cent.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has appointed Takeo Konishi as its new Country Director for India.Konishi will replace Kenichi Yokoyama who has taken over as Director-General of ADB’s South Asia Department. India is the fourth-largest shareholder of ADB and has been its largest borrower since 2010.
- The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has announced that the Thomas Cup and the Uber Cup, which were scheduled to be held from 3 to 11 October 2020 in Denmark, has been postponed for 2021.This decision has been taken following the withdrawal of many participating countries from the tournament due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The United Nations observes 16th September every year as International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer.The ozone layer is a fragile shield of gas which protects the Earth from the harmful portion of the rays of the sun and thus help in preserving life on the planet.The theme of the day for 2020: “Ozone for life: 35 years of ozone layer protection”. It marks 35 years of the Vienna Convention.
- Amazon.com Inc has signed up Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan for its Alexa voice assistant.Amitabh Bachchan is the first Indian celebrity to lend his voice to Alexa.
- Paytm First Games (PFG), a subsidiary of digital financial service platform Paytm, has roped in Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar as its brand ambassador.Tendulkar would promote the gaming platform PFG and all its fantasy sports such as cricket, kabaddi, football, and basketball.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval to the Haryana Orbital Rail Corridor Project from Palwal to Sonipat via Sohna-Manesar-Kharkhauda.The project will be implemented by Haryana Rail Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited (HRIDC) and the estimated completion cost of the project is Rs. 5,617 crore
History on the Date:
(1957) LA City Council approves 300-acre site in Chavez Ravine for Dodgers.
(1997) Apple Computer Inc names co-founder Steve Jobs interim CEO