Table of Contents
Wisden Award 2021 announced:
- India captain Virat Kohli Wisden Almanack’s ODI player of the 2010s.
- Sachin Tendulkar is the ODI Cricketer of the 1990s.
- Kapil Dev was named as the ODI Cricketer for the 1980s.
- England all-rounder Ben Stokes is ‘Leading Cricketer of the Year’.
- Australia’s Beth Mooney is ‘Leading Women’s Cricketer in the World’.
- West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard was adjudged the ‘Leading T20 Cricketer in the World’.
- Meanwhile, Jason Holder, Mohammed Rizwan, Dom Sibley, Zak Crawley, and Darren Stevens have been awarded the Wisden Cricketers of the Year 2021.
- Director Roberto Benigni will be receiving the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement at the 78th Venice International Film Festival, which runs from September 1 to 11. The organisers confirmed the news about the two-time Oscar-winning actor-director. The filmmaker had starred in and directed the holocaust comedy-drama film Life Is Beautiful (1997), for which he received the Academy Awards for Best Actor (the first for a non-English speaking male performance) and Best International Feature Film. He was last seen in Matteo Garrone’s live-action Pinocchio, for which he won a David di Donatello Award.
- RBL Bank and Mastercard have announced their partnership to launch a mobile-based consumer-friendly payment solution ‘Pay by Bank App’, a first-of-its-kind payment functionality in India
- A book titled ‘Believe – What Life and Cricket Taught Me’, the much-awaited Suresh Raina autobiography is set to hit the bookstands in May 2021. The book is Co-authored by Raina and sports author Bharat Sundaresan, the biography will be published by the prestigious publishing house, Penguin India.
- World Hemophilia Day observed globally on 17 April every year. This day is observed to raise awareness for hemophilia and other bleeding disorders. The date was chosen in honour of the World Federation of Hemophilia founder Frank Schnabel birthday. This year is the 30th edition of World Haemophilia Day. The theme for 2021 World Hemophilia Day is “Adapting to Change: Sustaining care in a new world”.
History on this Day:
(1976) NL greatest comeback: trailing 12-1, Philadelphia Phillies beat Chicago Cubs, 18-16 in 10 innings at Wrigley Field; Mike Schmidt hits 4 consecutive HRs