- Government of India has appointed Rakesh Asthana as the new director-general of the Border Security Force (BSF).Currently, DG Indo-Tibet Border Police (ITBP) chief S S Deswal was holding the additional charge of BSF since March this year.Asthana is currently heading the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) with an additional charge of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), will assume full-time charge of the border guarding force deployed at the approximately 2,280 km long border with Pakistan.
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) has appointed GP Garg as executive director (ED).Prior to this, he was Chief General Manager in Sebi and has handled several assignments since joining in January 1994.He has been closely associated with Sebi’s initiatives on financial literacy and investor education in the country.
- Google and Central Water Commission(CWC) of India have launched the flood forecasting initiatives across India for the past several months.The Central Water Commission is the first governmental partner of Google to measure water levels on an hourly basis using around 1000 stream gauges across India.
- All India Football Federation (AIFF) has launched the web platform “E-Pathshala” in partnership with the Sports Authority of India (SAI).The platform is an Athlete Coaching Program in football for Grassroots and Intermediate; and has been launched to recognise the creativity and develop the interest of children in football. It has been split into three parts:My Football Culture, My Skills and My Training.The “My Football culture” section comprises of five different aspects namely: My drawing, My goal, My Idol, My Creativity and My story. In this part, participants are required to upload their videos on the website in a particular section.The “My Skills” section is for U-12 age-group and consists of three difficulty levels namely Golden bracket, Silver bracket and Bronze bracket. In this, participants are required to to chose a particular bracket and then upload the corresponding videos which will be evaluated by the panellists accordingly.The “My training section”
- Retired Air Vice Marshal, Arjun Subramaniam has authored a new book titled, “Full Spectrum: India’s Wars, 1972-2020″.The book includes all major operation that the armed forces have participated in, including the Kargil conﬂict of 1999, insurgencies in the Northeast, terrorism and proxy wars in Jammu and Kashmir, separatist violence in Punjab, the Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) intervention in Sri Lanka, and the continued stress along the Line of Control( LoC)and the Line of Actual Control(LAC).
- Indian classical vocalist, Pandit Jasraj passed away. He was born in Haryana in 1930, his musical career spanned eight decades.He received several national and international awards in his career.Pandit Jasraj was a recipient of India’s fourth-highest civilian award, Padma Shri in 1975; Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1987 and Padma Bhushan in 1999.In the year 2000, the government of India conferred him with Padma Vibhushan, the second-highest civilian honour in the country.
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched the Tribal Health and Nutrition Portal “Swasthya” and e-newsletter on health and nutrition “ALEKH”.The ministry has also announced the opening of National Overseas Portal and National Tribal Fellowship Portal.
History on the Date:
(1940) Battle of Britain: The air battle known as "The Hardest Day" occurs; Luftwaffe lose approximately 69 aircraft and the RAF lose 68 in one of the largest ever air battle
(2008) Belarus weightlifter Andrei Aramnau breaks 3 world records, for the snatch, clean & jerk, and total, on the way to winning the men's 105kg gold medal at the Beijing Olympics