Table of Contents
- Virtual Ministerial meeting of Indo-US Strategic Energy Partnership was held on July 17, 2020. India and the United States have announced new areas of research on transformational power generation based on supercritical CO2 (sCO2) power cycles and advanced coal technologies, including carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS).
- Nelson Mandela International Day or Mandela Day is observed on 18 July every year across the globe. The day is aimed to honour Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president, Nobel Prize winner, and anti-apartheid icon. History: Mandela Day was first held on 18 July 2009, in New York.
- Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) has signed a contract with ASKO Maritime AS, Norway, a subsidiary of NorgesGruppen, to build autonomous electric ferries. The agreement paves way for the construction and supply of the two autonomous electric ferries along with an option to build two more identical vessels. Highlights: ♦ The project will put CSL into a league of premier shipbuilding yards in the world, which will be known capable of handling high tech vessel construction.
- Real Madrid clinch record 34th La Liga titleSpanish professional football club, Real Madrid has been crowned La Liga Champions for the 34th time after defeating Villarreal 2–1 at Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano in Madrid, with one match remaining. Karim Benzema was the leading scorer for a 2-1 victory against Villarreal.
- Arjuna awardee para-athlete Ramesh Tikaram passes away Arjuna awardee, para-athlete and para-badminton player, Ramesh Tikaram passed away due to COVID-19. He won many medals in shotput and Javelin throw including an international meet in Nottingham in 1995. He was awarded the Arjuna Award for his excellence in para-athletics and badminton in 2002. He became the founder secretary of the Badminton Sports Association of India for the Challenged, now known as the Para-Badminton Association of India in 2000.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas appointed as ambassador for TIFF 2020 Bollywood actor, Priyanka Chopra Jonas has been chosen as the ambassador of the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) 2020. Priyanka has joined the list of 50 celebrated filmmakers and actors who are invited as the ambassadors of the TIFF. Bollywood filmmaker Anurag Kashyap has also been chosen for TIFF 2020.
History of The Day:
- Spanish Civil War: General Francisco Franco issues manifesto and leads an uprising in the Spanish army stationed in Morocco (1936)
- Kim Jong-un is officially appointed Supreme Leader of North Korea and given the rank of Marshal in the Korean People’s Army(2012)
- Detroit, Michigan, files for bankruptcy, becoming the largest US municipal bankruptcy ever at $18.5 billion(2013)