Table of Contents hide
- Fino Payments Bank has launched Jan BachatKhata, which is an Aadhaar Authentication based digital savings account that brings neo-banking experience to consumers.Under the Jan BachatKhata, customers can transact at a Fino branch or merchant point with fingerprint and OTP combination, while at non-Fino points they need Aadhaar authentication.Earlier, Fino Payments Bank had introduced Shubh and Bhavishya, subscription-based savings accounts targeted at specific customer segments.
- An Memorandum of understanding (MoU) has been signed by India’s homegrown ecommerce player “Flipkart” with Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) Patna.The MoU will encourage industry focused applied research in the areas of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Machine Learning (ML). This is flipkart’s effort towards strengthening its academic collaboration which it has been promotiong for past 5 years now.
- President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Satya Pal Malik as the Governor of Meghalaya with effect from 18 August 2020.Prior to this, He was serving as the Governor of Goa.
- Sports eyewear brand “Oakley” has appointed Indian cricketer, Rohit Sharma as its brand ambassador for a period of two years in India.As a part of the partnership, Sharma will be sporting Oakley eyewear equipped with patented Prizm technology created specifically for sports lenses.
- Ashok Lavasa has stepped down as the Election Commissioner of India. He has submitted his resignation to President of India, Ram Nath Kovind.Lavasa is set to join the Philippines-based Asian Development Bank as the vice-president from September 2020. He will succeed the incumbent vice-president Diwakar Gupta, who is in charge of private sector operations, and public-private partnerships.
- The National Sports Awards selection committee have recommended four sportspersons for India’s highest sporting honour, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2020.Indian cricketer, Rohit Sharma and wrestler Vinesh Phogat are among the four sportspersons. Apart from Rohit and Vinesh, table tennis player Manika Batra and Paralympian M Thangavelu are the other two names.
- The title sponsorship rights of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 has been bagged by the fantasy gaming start-up “Dream 11”.The fantasy gaming start-up has bagged the title sponsorship rights for Rs 222 crore.It has bagged the rights as Expression of Interest (EOI) was invited by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for IPL 2020’s title sponsorship after the Chinese mobile phone brand, Vivo, pulled out of it.The title rights bagged by the fantasy gaming start-up “Dream 11” are valid till December 31, 2020.
- World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is observed globally on 19th August every year.This day is celebrated to pay tribute to humanitarian personnel and those workers who lost or risked their lives while doing humanitarian service.World Humanitarian Day (WHD) 2020 is the 11th edition of World Humanitarian Day.
- Computer scientist Russell Kirsch who invented the “pixel” and scanned the world’s first digital photograph, passed away. He created a small, 2-by-2-inch black-and-white digital image of his son, which was among the first images ever scanned into a computer.Pixels are the digital dots that are used to display photos, video and more on phone as well as computer screens.Russell Kirsch also developed a technique to smooth out images with the help of pixels with variable shapes instead of the squares.
History on the Date:
(1909) Indianapolis 500 race track opens
(2010) Operation Iraqi Freedom ends, with the last of the United States brigade combat teams crossing the border to Kuwai