- The Government of India has appointed Rajiv Kumar as the new Election Commissioner of India.Rajiv Kumar will be appointed as the election commissioner “with effect from the date he assumes the office. He will succeed Ashok Lavasa who has submitted his resignation to the Indian President.
- Ronnie O’Sullivan defeated Kyren Wilson with a score of 18-8 to win the World Snooker Championship 2020. He has claimed his sixth World Championship title at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre.With this victory, Ronnie O’Sullivan has also become the oldest winner of World Snooker Championship since Reardon, who was 45 in 1978. He has also advanced to the second spot in the world rankings behind last year’s champion Judd Trump.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed by the Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIM-K) with the Switzerland-based HELP Logistics.The partnership between the two entities seeks to produce humanitarian logistics in India and the region by offering consulting services as well as logistics training for the humanitarian community such as United Nations bodies, government institutions and non-governmental organisations.The partnership will also work towards improving regional knowledge on humanitarian logistics matters as the two entities will together carry out activities that integrate efforts to shape supply chains that benefit humanity during a humanitarian crisis.
- “Green Deposit Programme” has been launched by the HSBC India. The “green deposit programme” has been launched exclusively for corporate clients.Under this programme, the bank will use the deposits to finance green initiatives and environment friendly projects. With this, the deposit scheme launched by the HSBC India will provide its corporate clients stable and pre-agreed returns along with the same protection as a normal bank deposit does.
- The Chhatarpur Police of Madhya Pradesh has been running a campaign “Ek Sankalp-Bujurgo ke naam” in the midst of corona infection in the state.“Ek Sankalp-Bujurgo ke naam” i.e. ‘a commitment for elders’ is proving to be a boon for the elderly and helpless people living alone in homes during the global pandemic COVID-19.Under this campaign, the police personnels are taking care of the elderly people from the food to their health. This campaign is in line of the motto of Madhya Pradesh Police i.e. “Desh Bhakti-Jansewa”.
History on the Date:
- (1639) Madras (now Chennai), India, founded by the British East India Company on sliver of land bought from local Nayak rulers
- (1864) First Geneva Convention adopted in Geneva "for the Amelioration of the Condition of the Wounded in Armies in the Field" signed by 12 nations
- (1851) 100 Guineas Cup is raced around Isle of Wight; US schooner 'America' beats British cutter 'Aurora' by 24 minutes; first competition for the America's Cup yachting trophy