Table of Contents hide
- Renowned Indian scientist, G Satheesh Reddy was given a two-year extension as the chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).He was appointed to the post in August 2018 for two years.The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the extension of Reddy”s tenure as the DRDO chairman and as the Secretary of the Department of Defence Research & Development (DoDRD) for a period of two years beyond August 26.
- The Government of India Navratna, NLC India Limited (NLCIL) has bagged the award for making an extremely valuable contribution in the implementation of the “Swachhta Hi Seva Programme”.Rakesh Kumar, CMD of NLCIL hailing the efforts of NLCIL in transforming the entire Neyveli into a plastic-free, clean and green campus, and announcing the “Swachhta Hi Seva 2019” Award.
- Australian all-rounder Cameron White has announced his retirement from all forms of professional cricket.He represented Australia in 4 Test matches, 91 ODIs and 47 T20Is.He also led the Australian limited-overs team in 7 international games. He amassed 146 runs in tests, 2072 runs in ODIs and 984 runs in T20Is.
- German professional sports club, Bayern Munich won the UEFA Champions League 2019-20 title by defeating Paris Saint-Germain 1-0.The final was played in Lisbon, Portugal. Bayern Munich has become the first European Cup winners who won all their matches during the tournament.This is the sixth European Champions League title for Bayern Munich.
- German Golfer Sophia Popov won the Women’s British Open 2020 title (rebranded as 2020 AIG Women’s Open) by defeating Thailand’s Jasmine Suwannapura by two strokes at Royal Troon in Scotland.Sophia has now become the first female golfer from Germany to win the LPGA Tour’s major title.
- A book titled “Who painted my lust red?” has been authored by Sree Iyer.The book is something about when Bollywood meets Cricket meets Politicians.This is the second book in this series of Sree Iyer’s Money Trilogy series. The first book was “Who painted my money white?”.
- The Government of India, the Government of Maharashtra, Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has signed a loan agreement for a $500 million Mumbai Urban Transport Project-III.The aim of the project is to improve the network capacity, service quality and safety of the suburban railway system in Mumbai. With a population of 22.8 million (2011), Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) is the most populous metropolitan region in India and is expected to reach 29.3 million by 2031 and 32.1 million by 2041
History on the Date:
(1990) UN security council authorizes military action against Iraq
(1960) AFL begins placing players names on back of their jerseys