- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry, Shri Piyush Goyal has virtually launched the “National GIS-enabled Land Bank system”.The system was launched during virtual meeting with the industry, ministers of states, UT administrators and senior officers of the central and State Governments.
- HDFC Bank has announced a strategic partnership with Adobe to enhance the Digital Experiences of its Customers.The partnership is powered by Adobe Experience Cloud Solutions and will help HDFC Bank to deliver personalised digital experiences to existing as well as new customers, at any time and anywhere.The Bank will use platforms like Data Management Platform in Adobe Audience Manager to develop a deep understanding of the customers
- Dutch Author, Marieke Lucas Rijneveld won the International Booker Prize 2020 for her debut novel ‘The Discomfort of Evening’.Rijneveld became the youngest author to win the prize at the age of 29.The book tells the fictional story of Jas, a girl in a devout Christian farming family, whose brother dies in an accident after she wishes he would die instead of her rabbit.The book was first published in Dutch in 2018 and eventually translated into English by Michele Hutchison.The £50,000 prize ($66,000) will be split equally between the author and translator to give equal recognition to both.
- .Ms. Sudha Painuli has been selected for National Award to Teachers 2020.She is among the 47 outstanding teachers selected for the National Award to Teachers 2020.The teachers have been selected by the Independent Jury at National Level, constituted by the Union Ministry of Education, Department of School Education & Literacy.Ms. Sudha Painuli is the first NAT Awardee from the Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRS) established under Ministry of Tribal Affairs. She is serving as the Vice Principal of EMRS-Kalsi, Dehradun, Uttarakhand since its establishment.She has been selected for her innovative experiments namely Eklavya Birthday Garden, Theatre in Education, Eklavya Tribal Museum, Skill Development Workshops etc.
- TikTok CEO, Kevin Mayer has stepped down from the post, amid US pressure for its Chinese owner to sell the popular video app.His resignation follows President Donald Trump’s order to ban TikTok unless its parent company, ByteDance, sells its US operations to an American company within 90 days. U.S. General Manager of Tiktok, Vanessa Pappas will replace him on an interim basis.
- India is planning to host BRICS Games 2021, which will be aligned with the Khelo India Games scheduled for next year.This announcement came after Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju attended a meeting of Sports Ministers of the BRICS nations (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa).India will get the chairmanship of the five-nation independent international group in 2021.BRICS Games 2021 will be held during the same time and at the same venues as of Khelo India Games 2021 so that our players from various parts of the country who will gather for Khelo India Games will have the benefit of witnessing BRICS Games from close quarters.
- The most successful men’s doubles pair in tennis history, Mike Bryan and Bob Bryan have announced their retirement from the sport.The brother’s pair captured an Open Era record with 119 trophies in 26 seasons which comprises all four Grand Slams, all nine ATP Masters 1000s as well as the Olympic gold medal.The Bryan brothers’ first major success came at the 2003 French Open and reached to No. 1 spot in the ATP Doubles Rankings on 8 September 2003 and spent a total time of 438 weeks at the top.
History on the Date:
(1963) Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his “I have a dream” speech addressing the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom civil rights march at Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C
(1972) Soviet gymnast Olga Korbut becomes media darling at the Munich Olympics; wins gold in the teams all-round ; follows with 2 gold and a silver