- The senior-most Supreme Court judge Justice Nuthalapati Venkata Ramana has been appointed as the next Chief Justice of India (CJI). Justice Ramana would succeed incumbent CJI Sharad Arvind Bobde to take over as the 48th CJI. He would assume charge of the office from April 24, 2021, till August 26, 2022.
- The construction of the arch of the world’s highest railway bridge that soars 359 metres above the bed of the Chenab river in Jammu and Kashmir was completed. The 1.3-kilometre-long bridge aims to boost connectivity to the Kashmir Valley and it is being constructed at a cost of ₹ 1,486 crores as part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Railway Link (USBRL) project.
- The Central Government has approved the appointment of Tarun Bajaj as the new Revenue Secretary under the Ministry of Finance. Prior to this, Bajaj, a 1988 batch Haryana-cadre IAS officer, was serving as the Economic Affairs Secretary since April 30, 2020.
- The World Health Day is a global health awareness day celebrated on 7 April every year. On April 7th every year, governmental as well as non-governmental health organizations organize events that focus on promoting healthier habits of living. From exciting activities to pledges and support plans, these events aim to create awareness about what can increase the life expectancy of people around the world. The Theme of World Health Day 2021: “Building a fairer, healthier world for everyone”.
- The president of Gita Press, Radheshyam Khemka, passed away. He is credited for taking the Sanatan literature to the masses.Khemka for 38 years was the editor of the prominent ‘Kalyan’ magazine printed at the press. He last edited the magazine’s April 2021 issue. Gita Press is the world’s largest publisher of Hindu religious texts.
History on this Day:
(2000) South African cricket captain Hansie Cronje is charged by Delhi police with fixing One Day International matches against India