- Educationist Professor, Pradeep Kumar Joshi has appointed as the chairman of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).He will succeed Arvind Saxena who completes his term as UPSC chairman. Joshi, who was the chairman of both Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh Public Service Commissions, joined the UPSC as member in May 2015.His tenure as the chairman of the UPSC will be till May 12, 2021.
- Former Jammu and Kashmir Lt Governor, Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as the new Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India. He is the 14th CAG of India.He will assume office on 8 August 2020. He will replace Rajiv Mehrishi, a 1978 batch IAS officer of the Rajasthan cadre, as the CAG.
- Airtel Payments Bank has partnered with Bharti AXA General Insurance to offer “Smart Plan Shop Package Policy” for the financial protection of the bank’s retailers and merchants.The policy will provide financial protection in case of damage to assets inside the shop due to fire and allied perils and burglary, among others, as covered in the product.
- Nation observes “National Handloom Day” on 7th August every year. This day is celebrated to honour the handloom weavers in the country and also highlight the handloom industry.The Day highlights the contribution of handloom to the socio-economic development of the country and increases the income of the weavers.
- The famous fiction writer and Pulitzer Prize-winner, Shirley Ann Grau passed away.She was born on July 8, 1929, in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States.he wrote six novels and four short stories which are all set in the Deep South, from New Orleans to north Louisiana and Alabama.Her first book, The Black Prince was published in 1954. Shirley won the Pulitzer Prize for her fourth book, “The Keepers of the House” in 1965.
- A sports gaming platform, WTF Sports has appointed cricketers Harmanpreet Kaur and Suresh Raina as its global brand ambassadors. Raina is also joining the brand as a Strategic Partner. The announcement was made through a web conference.The platform currently hosts three major sports, multiple playing modes, and exciting contests, ensuring that sports fans can get more skilful by letting them strategize and use their sports knowledge into rewarding behaviour.
- US Senate approves TikTok ban on government devices The United States Senate has unanimously passed a bill banning the Chinese-owned video-sharing app TikTok on government devices. The bill will now go to President Donald Trump to be signed into a law, which will prohibit federal employees from downloading or using TikTok.
- The Indian railways begin its “Kisan Rail” services to transport perishable goods from today.India’s first ‘Kisan Rail’ will run between Devlali in Maharashtra’s Nashik and will reach Danapur in Bihar.The train will cover the journey of 1,519 kilometres in over 31 hours.The train will be flagged off via video conferencing by Union Minister of Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar and Railway Minister Piyush Goyal.
History on the Date:
- (1955) Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, the precursor to Sony, begins selling its first transistor radios in Japan
- (1990) US deploys troops to Saudi Arabia beginning Opreation Desert Shield