Table of Contents
- India’s homegrown e-commerce marketplace, Flipkart has signed an MoU with One District, One Product (ODOP) scheme of the Government of Uttar Pradesh.The MoU will bring the artisans, weavers and craftsmen under the ODOP scheme into the scope of the “Flipkart Samarth” initiative. This will provide artisans, weavers and craftsmen under the ODOP scheme a momentum to expand their business online as they face social and economic challenges.The Flipkart Samarth initiative will offer various services to artisans, weavers and craftsmen such as training, dedicated space in Flipkart’s fulfilment centres, constant seller support along with cataloguing guidance and visibility on the platform.
- United Nations observes the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples on 09th August every year to raise awareness of the needs of indigenous peoples.The theme of International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples 2020 is “COVID-19 and indigenous peoples’ resilience”.
- Former wrestler James Harris, who was also known as “Kamala”, passed away.Harris fought with the greatest superstars in sports-entertainment history including Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, and Andre the Giant.“The Ugandan Giant” was a unique character who operated both in and out of the ring in a memorable way.James Harris wrestled in the Mid-South, World Class Championship Wrestling, WCW and WWE. Harris began his career in wrestling under the tutelage of wrestler Bobo Brazil in 1984.
- A Line of Credit of worth 18 million US dollars has been extended by the Government of India to the Government of Maldives.The Line of Credit has been extended with the primary objective of expanding the fishing facilities at Maldives Industrial Fisheries Company (MIFCO).The project will promote investment in the fish collection as well as the storage facilities.
History on the Date:
- (1942) Mahatma Gandhi and 50 others arrested in Bombay after passing of a “quit India” motion and campaign by the All-India Congress
- (1945) US drops second atomic bomb “Fat Man” on Nagasaki, Japan, destroying part of the city
- (2012) Jamaican sprint superstar Usain Bolt wins the 200m at the London Olympics in 19.32 to become first to win 100/200m double in back-to-back Olympic